What’s in this “new” TrumpCare bill.
After weeks of total secrecy, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell released a draft of the Senate TrumpCare bill. And what a cruel, ugly bill it is. It destroys Medicaid, it increases health costs for the middle-class families, it cuts coverage for pre-existing conditions, it eliminates funding for Planned Parenthood…and it does this all in order to green-light a massive tax cut for millionaires and billionaires. Oh, and it will likely get worse once it gets to the Senate floor.
But this isn’t over yet. Senate Republicans don’t have the votes…not yet. We have time to fight back, and it doesn’t matter if you have a Republican or Democratic Senator—you are needed in this fight. Here’s how to fight back.
How the TrumpCare fight will play out
Senate Republicans have promised a vote by the end of next week. But there are still several steps between now and passage of TrumpCare. Here’s how the former congressional staff at Indivisible Team think the fight will unfurl:
- On June 27 or 28, Republicans will officially announce the vote is happening by the end of the week and start debate on “the bill,” which is just a draft bill intended to make it look like they’re being transparent but in reality is a trick to hide just how awful their finished product will be.
- Over the next couple days, Senators will submit amendments, most of which will fail and none of which would make this bill redeemable.
- On June 29, the Senate will plan to vote on the legislation, but first they will vote on all submitted amendments (known as “vote-a-rama”).
- At the last possible minute, Senate Republicans will replace the entire bill they just got finished “debating” with an alternative TrumpCare bill secretly crafted behind closed doors.
- By the end of June 29, there will be a final vote in the Senate.
- As soon as that same day, the House may then pass the legislation and send it to Trump to sign. This could take longer, but this is the worst case scenario and quite possible.
- Starting July 1, one week of congressional recess begins. They’ll either have the bill done by then, or they’ll have to wait another week.
Throughout this process there will be precisely zero public hearings in the Senate. Make no mistake, this is a historically partisan, secretive, and undemocratic process for one of the most consequential pieces of legislation of our generation. This is atrocious. So let’s fight it.
New resources to fight back.
It’s critical that you’re showing up and that when you’re not showing up, you’re calling your Senators every single day. All you need to pressure your Republican Senators, including DAILY scripts and new materials, is on our TrumpCareTen.org website. Need more background materials? We’ve got ‘em for you here:
Don’t like this TrumpCare bill? Help us amend it ASAP
Got a Democratic Senator? You’ve still got work to do. As mentioned above, one of the final stages of the TrumpCare bill is a little-known process known as “vote-a-rama” where ANY Senator can submit as many amendments as he or she wants. And here’s the thing: EVERY amendment takes time to be introduced and voted on. We’re collecting THOUSANDS of amendments and submitting them directly to Senate staff.
Please please please: submit your amendments here, and get your friends and family members to submit amendments. We know this is working already. Senators are reading these amendments on the Senate floor. But we need thousands more.
This is about applying your constituent power directly to the process. This tactic can delay the bill and make it more politically painful for Republicans to move forward. It’s not a silver bullet- McConnell and Senate Republicans can still blow up Senate rules and cut off the amendment process. But to do that they’ll have to go on the record literally silencing the victims of TrumpCare in their own states, which they really don’t want to visibly do.
We’re standing indivisible with you.
This is a raw moment for many of us. Indivisible team members have pre-existing conditions themselves, or have children or family members who would be directly harmed by TrumpCare. We know many of you are in the same boat. This is real, and this is scary. But we also know that we’ve succeeded for months because Indivisible groups across the country have been fighting back on their home turf.
We are under no illusions that victory is assured here, but victory is possible. Every member of Congress voting on this bill will eventually have to get your vote to be reelected. That’s the source of your constituent power. That’s what makes them responsive to pressure. Remember in March when Paul Ryan embarrassingly called off his first TrumpCare vote? That happened because of public pressure. That happened because of you.
We’re not going down without a fight. Let’s stand stand indivisible again. Let’s win this.